Change the way you look at things... ...and things you look at change!
Dr. Wayne Dyer

Friday, September 19, 2014

A Spirit Freed

I had a beautiful moment today and just had the need to share.
  
Today I scattered the ashes of my beloved brother Brian. He actually passed some time ago but my family could not come to terms with where his ashes should go. One day last fall my sister knocked on my door and said "here he can stay with you" and left his ashes with me... and he did stay... while I tried to figure out how to lay him to rest.
 

Today a friend took me to a lovely park in the small community called Lowville which is north of where I live on Lake Ontario. There were few people about and it was cold and grey to start but the sun eventually shone through... there was a large rushing stream, I think Bronte Creek, which wove through the park and lots of forest trails to walk.
 

We walked a long way, deep into the woods but alongside the water and I found the perfect place. Below a noisy set of rapids was a large quiet pool. Steep canyon walls rose on the far side which were draped with maples, evergreens and other trees, many of which had begun the fall transformation. I walked to the edge of the quiet pool and slowly scattered his ashes into the waters. My brother had always been an outdoor person and his passion in life was fishing. At that moment a large fish jumped from the water and splashed it's way upstream.
 

My friend and I were both startled at the fish and thrilled to see something as wild and free as this creature. I looked back to where his ashes settled into the water to watch as some floated out into the stream and were swept away. Some did settle to the edge of the pool and a small school of minnows appeared and swam over the spot.
 

It was then we noticed the footprints in the mud of the stream, probably there all along but it was only then we saw them. Leading from the spot in the water where the scattered ashes settled, they led out into the deeper waters. The sun chose to shine in full force at that moment and the tree we stood under suddenly rained leaves. There was no breeze but the leaves fell in a golden shower on us. My thought was that my brother's spirit was now free and that he was telling me of his joy. My friend said it was the most spiritual moment she ever experienced and I had to agree. I had been terribly sad, reliving my pain at his loss and now I was filled with a wonderful joy.
 
I truly believe in something after death... not necessarily religious but something... I now know that to be true... for I believe our spirit is a forever thing and my sadness over the loss of a loved brother left me completely. He was free to move on and with that I too was freed to move on with life. Goodbye my dear brother... may your journey in this new life be filled with joy.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that is so beautiful and I shed more tears at the loss of your brother "Brian". Very very profound and well written. "Brian" is indeed a free spirit and free to engage once again in his passion of fishing. It truly was a remarkable day and wonderful to see this beautiful event unfolding. I truly will never forgot the sight of the footprints and a fish at this time of year jumping and the sun coming out after a very grey morning.. It gave me goosebumps. What a lovely tribute to your brother.

    ReplyDelete