Change the way you look at things... ...and things you look at change!
Dr. Wayne Dyer

Friday, November 29, 2013

My Thanksgiving

My Thanksgiving

Well here it is... Friday... the day after Thanksgiving. I feel terrific. I have a sense of well being that I haven't felt for some time. A sense of expectancy... something wonderful is about to come my way. Something wonderful also happened yesterday.

I haven't had the means to celebrate with a Thanksgiving dinner for several years, Christmas either for that matter. Times have been a little tough and it seemed a waste to spend much needed funds on my own celebrations. Yet on Wednesday I said "no more"... I wanted to honor those I love and to thank the Good Lord for giving me the blessings I have and will have and yes... those blessings I once had too.

The first order of the day was to stop with the Kraft dinner and move on to a more traditional feast. I bought a small turkey breast, some little round potatoes and one rather large, sweet potato. Sadly I forgot cranberries but they are hard to find at this time here in Canada... and for this old girl, out of sight is out of mind.
I spent some time preparing stuffing... sauteing mushrooms and onions, then mixing into diced bread with chopped apples. Ouuuuuuh this was going to be gooooood! 

I finished the stuffing and laid the turkey breast on it in a rather large roasting pan. I only have the one pan so there was no fuss over what size I needed. I filled the pan with cut up sweet potato and the little round, yellow potatoes. My initial plan was to make mashed potatoes but I forgot that I only have one pot and I wanted to save that for making gravy. Oven roasted potatoes seemed a fine alternative.

Now there is only me to eat this feast but I cooked for all my friends and family... of course in spirit only... as there was and is only me. My Canadian parts were off working, it is no celebration here, and my Arizona parts were far away and my Tennessee part was busy and far away too. 
The turkey wrapped in a cocoon of tin foil went into the warmed oven. Soon tantalizing scents stirred my soul.

Ohhhhh it smelled so good. Can there be a finer fragrance than roasting turkey???... I could hardly wait yet I slow cooked my turkey and let the fragrance tease me all afternoon. I decided to act like it was a traditional American celebration and spent part of the day watching TV yet somehow I missed one of my favorite shows... the Eukanuba dog show!!!! I actually cried out in frustration when I saw on the news that I had missed it... I was watching The Young and The Restless tribute show for Jeanne Cooper who passed away in May. I've seen it three times now and cry at each. An English foxhound won best in show this year... fine dog... bet he doesn't get Alpo.

When dinner was ready I dashed to the stove and lifted my treasure out. I let it rest for a few minutes... I was pacing the floor like an expectant parent... or like a Christmas morning when your parents won't wake up... I couldn't wait a moment longer. 
The time came when my meal was ready. I made my gravy and sliced my turkey... ahhhh so-o beautiful. I spooned out the stuffing, potatoes and sweet potato chunks and covered all with the gravy.... bliss!!!!

I put my filled to overflowing plate upon my simple table and sat down to eat. The goal being not to be able to stand up when I was done. This may sound like gorging but I have trouble standing even on good days. I sat for a moment and stared at the beauty of the plate. I inhaled the fragrance... the gravy, the turkey, the potatoes... the sage scented stuffing.

I glanced up and could see everyone around me. All those I love were there... each with a smiling face... I imagined a plate for each and the turkey never ran out. I felt the love... multiple sets of arms hugged me... both those in the present and those who have gone on. I felt comforted, protected and above all cherished.

This was a dinner I will never forget... it wasn't the food or doing nothing all day. It was those who I love that made it so special.

I am grateful for that special day. I am grateful for those I love and who love me. I am grateful for being able to share that special moment. This is the true meaning of Thanksgiving.

And there is more... I am grateful for...
LEFTOVERS!

1 comment:

  1. Wow Lynne, you write well. Just reading your Thanksgiving preparations made my mouth water. So glad it was a great meal for you. Love Gail.

    ReplyDelete