Change the way you look at things... ...and things you look at change!
Dr. Wayne Dyer

Thursday, October 31, 2013

So Sorry Goodbye

So Sorry Goodbye

After a few days of trying, frustration is winning out. I have written to many people but nothing has developed. I'm talking about helping my guy Mike. I fear I have failed.

Mike Randall is my favorite weatherman. He works for WKBW Channel 7 (ABC) in Buffalo, New York. Mike has had his work hours reduced... cut down to almost nothing... all because he grew a few grey hairs (at least he has hair), clocked in a few too many years and generally made the newly hired staff of the morning show look like what they are... youngsters.

The morning show crew are all fresh faced and bushy tailed journalists eagerly seeking careers in broadcast television. Yeah, yeah... this is fine an dandy, the kids have to learn someplace and at sometime, but not at the expense of seasoned professionals like Mike.

Seasoned professional is a cover word... what it really means is someone who has been around the block a few times and hopefully by all that travel, has learned a few things. Mike has been there and done that but it is of no value in WKBW's world of today.

I supposed Mike could take advantage of some of the services that WKBW promotes. He might get a discount on a "Quick Lift"... to hide the fact that he wasn't just out of the womb. He might try "Just For Men" to disguise his silver tresses. He might ever get substantial discounts by doing so AND become a spokesperson for these products. He could... but then he wouldn't be who he really is... a professional, a journalist and a weatherman.

Funny how the station has all this advertising on products to stay young... but just who exactly are they marketing too. Does a 20 something need wrinkle cream? Do they need to hide their grey? Do they need to have a face lift? Come on... 

The people these products are being marketed to are those same people that WKBW is laying off because of age. So why are 50 somethings supporting this? Would be nice if all those this pertains too would stop buying and start being who they really are... but give me a minute... I'm coloring my hair.

I thought I could somehow make a difference and help my guy Mike. I won't stop trying but I feel that I am a failure... sorry Mike. No one is listening, maybe the batteries are dead... or maybe I need to get it on You Tube! (Mike do you have a video of you with cats?)

Mike, I did have some thoughts for when you are doing all those things that WKBW says you are eager to do, but having a job prevented you... things that probably won't bring in much money (who needs to eat anyway) but lots of satisfaction. 

Over the years I've noticed just how great you are with kids... and thought why not make that strength something to build upon.

My thought was to start a new educational (site, feature, account) on social media. A place... where you can teach, especially kids, all about weather. You are a gifted actor and educated weatherman so are perfect for this.

Imagine a You Tube network, going into the schools... segments to teach the kids and anyone else too... all about weather. You could call it "Weather ED... from Mike." (Of course if you changed your name to Ed it would have a ring to it.) You could even make in person visits to area schools. I did a quick look on You Tube and no one has thought of this as yet.

Who knows... WKBW might even be interested in a roving weather ambassador such as you. (But get it in writing first.) AND really... isn't Buffalo the weather capital of the US?

My favorite phase is this, "change the way you look at things and things you look at change" from Wayne Dyer. Mike look at this change ahead in a new way, who knows you might become the Mr. Robert's of generations to come.

Heck yeah... Welcome to the Weather Neighborhood! Mike Randall's weather neighborhood.

LMC

 


No comments:

Post a Comment